08 April 2014Union officials with no valid Right of Entry permits named on FWBC website

FWBC has today published on its website a list of union officials who do not have valid Right of Entry permits.

The list includes CEPU official, Peter Mooney. The Fair Work Commission (FWC) has refused to renew Mr Mooney’s permit. FWBC made submissions regarding his application earlier this year.

FWBC Director Nigel Hadgkiss said the list was a critical tool for site managers across Australia in preventing potential Right of Entry breaches. “This is a list of people who do not have a valid Right of Entry permit, some of them have a history of attempting to enter building sites without valid permits,” Mr Hadgkiss said.

“Since I started as FWBC Director in October 2013, we have seen several very serious alleged breaches of Right of Entry.”

The FWBC recently:

  • Launched proceedings against the CFMEU and five of its officials in the Federal Court after a physical confrontation occurred at an Adelaide building site and officials allegedly forced their way onto site;
  • Launched proceedings against a CFMEU official who allegedly entered a Sydney work site and falsely said he was Steve Irwin;
  • Had a case finalised where three union officials entered a Queensland building site to address alleged safety concerns. One of the officials carried an EFTPOS machine with him. The court imposed total penalties of $38,500.

Mr Hadgkiss urged site managers to know their rights about Right of Entry. “It is within your right to request to see and inspect the original permit. It is not enough for the official to flash the permit at you. You are entitled to, and should, inspect it.” In addition Mr Hadgkiss said site managers should use the new list on FWBC’s website to help them. “If someone on the list comes onto site uninvited, and does not leave when asked, call the police,” he said.

Since December 24, 2013, FWBC has made submissions to the FWC regarding four other officials, submitting that they are not fit and proper persons to hold a permit. In refusing Peter Mooney’s permit application, the FWC said Mr Mooney showed a “demonstrable lack of regard for provisions of industrial legislation”.

Please call FWBC’s Hotline on 1800 003 338 for confidential advice about Right of Entry. If you think a Right of Entry breach may have occurred, call the Hotline immediately.

PDF icon MEDIA RELEASE Union officials with no valid Right of Entry permits named on FWBC website.pdf