The Fair Work Commission today (15 June 2022) announced a 5.2 per cent ($40 per week) increase to the national minimum wage (NMW), with modern awards increasing by at least 4.6 per cent.
What this means for the construction industry
Minimum wages in modern awards will increase by 4.6 per cent for those earning above $869.60 and by $40 per week for award rates below $869.60. Increases will take effect from the first full pay period starting on or after 1 July 2022.
These awards include:
- Building and Construction General On-site Award 2020
- Electrical, Electronic and Communications Contracting Award 2020
- Plumbing and Fire Sprinklers Award 2020
- Joinery and Building Trades Award 2020
- Mobile Crane Hiring Award 2020
Employers should familiarise themselves with the industrial instrument that applies to their workers to ensure that employees are being paid correctly.
We are here to help
For help understanding your wages obligations in the building and construction industry, visit our wages and entitlements webpage or call our hotline on 1800 003 338.
Do you think you’re being underpaid?
If you believe you’re being underpaid, we can help. To reach us:
- call our hotline on 1800 003 338
- contact us online through our online contact form.