What the ABCC can assist with

The ABCC monitors and promotes compliance with the BCIIP Act, designated building laws and the Code by building industry participants who perform building work.

In general, a building industry participant is a building employee, employer or contractor. It can also be a building association like a union or employer association, or a representative of a building association.

Building work covers most commercial construction activities. It doesn’t include activities associated with the construction, repair or restoration of domestic housing, unless the project is part of a development that consists of at least five single-dwelling houses.

You can learn more about what defines a building industry participant, and what is considered ‘building work’, in the Our jurisdiction factsheet.