In accordance with its responsibilities under the BCIIP Act, the ABCC:
- enforces workplace relations laws in the building and construction industry through the provision of education, assistance and advice and, where necessary, civil penalty litigation in the courts
- ensures compliance with building codes1 by educating the industry, monitoring compliance and, where appropriate, seeking rectification by, or sanctions against, noncompliant contractors.
These purposes are achieved through three core activities:
- providing education, assistance and advice to building industry participants
- undertaking compliance activities
- pursuing enforcement activities.
1 The ABCC is responsible for monitoring compliance with the Building Code 2013 and the Code.